In order to purchase a firearm in CA you need to pass the Firearm Safety Certificate test in store. The test is: 30 questions, multiple choice, and costs $25. (study guide)
Upon passing the FSC test along with the required documents below you may begin the background check process after you decide which firearm you'd like to purchase.
If you are unsure of your background you should file a personal eligibility check here: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/pfecapp.pdf
TO BUY FIREARMS OR AMMO YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
If the picture ID address does not match the 4473 address, then you must provide:
- another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee’s residence address.
- It must be a government issued document. Non-municipal utility bills and DMV brown change of address cards do not apply. The document should be printed or typed and not handwritten.
- This is required for any firearm transaction whether long gun, handgun or other firearm.
Common examples are: CA vehicle registration, CA Fire Permit (obtained online or in store), or CCW.
CA DOJ Requirements
All handgun background checks must be accompanied by a copy of proof of residency that matches the transferee’s CA Drivers License or ID. If it does not, (2) proof’s of residence are required.
- Utility Bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual’s name and 4473 address. No cell phone bill, no satellite cable bill.
- Notarized Residential Lease that bears the individual’s name and 4473 address and is signed and dated.
- Property Deed that bears the individual’s name and 4473 address.
- Current, Government-issued License, Permit, or Registration, other than a CA DL or CA ID (DMV Printout will not work), that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The document must bear the individual’s name and 4473 address.
- It must be valid and have an expiration date. DOUBLE CHECK THE DATES. No “Over Due Notice” warnings.
- Make sure you can see the address for the utility provided on the bill.
- If it is a government issued document, it can apply for both Federal 4473 and CA DROS requirements. (example: CA Vehicle Registration, CA Fire Permit, CCW)
- If not, then you might need to satisfy both. (example: a DMV printout would still require a utility bill.)
4473 Legal Alien and Nonimmigrant Alien Requirements
- Nonimmigrant Aliens must provide a current hunting license or permit along with the Federal and CA DOJ requirements listed above.
AFTER THE PURCHASE
FIREARMS ARE FIRST ELIGIBILE TO BE DELIVERED AFTER TEN 24 HOUR PERIODS OR 10 DAYS FROM SUBMITTING YOUR BACKGROUND CHECK.
- You have 10 to 30 days to pickup your firearm! If pickup window is missed you will be an admin fee + DROS to reprocess your background check.
- If you are denied delivery from DOJ you will be charged a 15%-25% restocking fee to cover associated admin costs for processing the background check & facilitating the sale.
ADMISSION OF INELIGIBILITY TO OWN A FIREARM FOR ANY REASON WILL RESULT IN DENIAL OF SERVICE.